[e2e] It's all my fault

Greg Skinner gds at best.com
Mon May 14 16:37:39 PDT 2007

On Tue, May 15, 2007 at 12:15:16AM +0200, Randy Bush wrote:
> Christian Huitema wrote:
> > The old UUCP path rewriting logic was a solution to that tension. Usenet
> > relied on source routing, so they had to support it but they went to
> > extreme lengths to tame it. Usenet was relatively low bandwidth, so it
> > was OK to check the path before forwarding a file.
>
> before we really rathole,   uucp != the usenet

Actually, usenet posts were not distributed via source routing.  They
were exchanged with neighboring sites.  The "bang paths" that were
generated as a result of a post making its way through usenet were
used by uucp mail as a reverse path to the original poster.

Path rewriting (using programs such as pathalias) came into play as
more optimal routes were able to be computed using the connectivity
data from uucp maps.

--gregbo