[e2e] It's all my fault

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Tue May 15 04:19:06 PDT 2007

Greg Skinner wrote:
> On Tue, May 15, 2007 at 02:41:29AM +0200, Detlef Bosau wrote:
>
>> As you say: _Actually_. And in case of all servers being connected to
>> the Internet. It´s not that long ago that I had only usenet access via
>> uucp and therefore, anything worked with good ol´ bang paths. For both
>> purposes, routing to the correct "rnews" node you want to send your news
>> to and avoiding cycles / "backward flooding" as well.
>>

> Hmmm ... I'm not aware of people commonly using source routing to get
> their news posted at a news server of their choice.

Me neither :-)

In my early usenet days, I did neither use IP nor did I use source routing.

I made a phone / modem call with my PC to the neighbour node and
sent/received my news batches via UUCP.
And my neighbour node made phone calls (o.k., with an X.25 adaptor) to
its neighbour nodes - and exchanged batches via UUCP.

That´s were the term "store and forward" stems from: When your disk runs
out of space,
- store any incoming uucp batches on a quarter inch tape and if there´s
no chance to deliver it via uucp,
- forward the material to the reciever via your prefered parcel service.

You may ridicule about this, but that´s the way I sent and received news
up to 2000.
Mail as well.

And it´s highly efficient! My acutal ADSL provider still provides news
access via UUCP, however this is UUCP over TCP and not the good ol´
modem/POTS system :-)

--
Detlef Bosau
Galileistrasse 30