[e2e] It's all my fault

Ken Calvert calvert at netlab.uky.edu
Wed May 16 05:40:51 PDT 2007

>> Allowing source routing at the level of transit providers
>> shifts the balance of power back toward the user. (See
>> Xiaowei Yang's thesis.)
>
> Are we living on the same planet?  Do you seriously think that any ISP
> would be interested in purchasing equipment or software which would let
> users to get the best of the "balance of power" (or, to put it more
> bluntly, ability to screw ISP's traffic engineering and business
> arrangements with peers)?

No, I don't expect this would be deployed by current
providers.  It requires a fairly complete re-thinking of the
architecture because other mechanisms are needed to make it
work.  It will only be deployed if, as was suggested, it
(i.e. a new architecture) grows in parallel and eventually
succeeds because it is more attractive in some way.  It
would take a long time, if it happens.

What's needed are mechanisms that separate concerns to allow
the different parties in the "tussle" to implement their own
policies. It is not obvious (to me -- but I'm neither an ISP
nor an economist) that allowing competition among transit
providers precludes traffic engineering a priori.

>> It's really about the interesting possibilities that cannot even be
>> contemplated because of the lack of such a mechanism (and others needed
>> to make it feasible).
>
> Oh, surely one does not need actual deployment to contemplate all the
> interesting possibilities.

You are right, one can contemplate.  But as soon as one
starts talking about it, lots of folks with a firm grasp of
the status quo start saying it'll never work, there's no
market for it, etc.  The only way to overcome that is to
build something and use it (what I think Reed was talking
about).

> boring. There's a good enough technology which more-less works. Years ago
> I figured out how to build backbones with arbitrarily large capacity,
> there are no more technological challenges in that.  This market is all
> about price/performance now, a commodity market.

It's a commodity market because for the vast majority of
customers, the denominator of price/performance is
essentially fixed.

KC
--
Ken Calvert, Associate Professor      Lab for Advanced Networking
calvert at netlab.uky.edu                     University of Kentucky