[e2e] It's all my fault

Durga Prasad Pandey dpsmiles at MIT.EDU
Wed May 16 18:39:01 PDT 2007

Vadim,

If your intention was to be purely provocative, from what you have
written below, you sure did succeed. Being a network engineer, you
cannot be unaware of the tremendous impact academic research has, and
will continue to have in every field, and most strikingly in
networking. Would you consider the Internet to be one of the greatest
inventions of the last century? (In my opinion its number 1, and I'd
be surprised if it wasn't one of the top inventions in your list
too). Now if you are really unaware of the academia's contributions
to the creation and design of the Internet, and of the "DC folks"
support and participation that made it possible, may I present  a
recommended reading for you:

http://www.amazon.com/Dream-Machine-Licklider-Revolution-Computing/dp/
0670899763

Further, let me be bold enough to propose an analogy. The role of of
genetic mutations in evolution is widely recognized. Similar is the
role of new ideas in science and technology, that you so happily seem
to ridicule. You might argue that a good percentage of what gets
published doesn't get implemented, especially immediately. Yes, there
are papers whose ideas are just not very good, or practical. But what
does end up working out and making a difference could look very
"Platonic technology"ish in the short term. Lots of wiser and more
experienced people on this forum and elsewhere will tell you how
their ideas were ridiculed at first, and then turned out to be
staggering successes.

Regarding source routing, may I recommend Clark et al's Tussle paper
if you haven't read it yet: http://www.sigcomm.org/sigcomm2002/papers/
tussle.pdf where they make a really interesting analysis of how the
Internet represents a constant tussle among different stakeholders.
One of the examples they quote is that of source routing. Source
routing represents choice for a customer of routing their packets
through providers they like. It doesn't seem to make economic sense
for ISPs under current business models, especially when the consumer
is a residential user - that situation and model might change in the
future. Perhaps source routing,  as currently defined needs to
change. But if you're arguing for ISPs constraining any choice the
user has with respect to how their data flows depending on their
short term economic thinking, I think you aren't making a good
argument. The basis of economics is the concept of customer and
utility, and technologists who ignore this might well get swept away.

Yes, your position is quite explicit. :)

Durga