[e2e] It's all my fault

Lachlan Andrew lachlan.andrew at gmail.com
Tue May 15 09:35:24 PDT 2007

On 15/05/07, Vadim Antonov <avg at kotovnik.com> wrote:

> "I need source routing" is an euphemism for "my TE sucks".
>
> The fundamental problem with SR is that endpoints do not have information
> about network topology necessary for making intelligent path choices. It
> is as simple as that.

At last week's INFOCOM, Don Towsley and Peter Key pointed out that
selecting a small number of parallel paths, and regularly reselecting
based on performance (a la BitTorrent), is as good as selecting the
best path.  As has been pointed out in this thread, that is much
better than BGP does.

Of course, this only applies to long flows, but they account for an
increasing majority of traffic.

Cheers,
Lachlan

--
Lachlan Andrew  Dept of Computer Science, Caltech
1200 E California Blvd, Mail Code 256-80, Pasadena CA 91125, USA