[e2e] Time for a new Internet Protocol

John Day day at std.com
Thu May 17 15:14:37 PDT 2007

If I were to characterize how we arrived at what we have I would have
to say it was not done by looking for a solution that benefited
particular vested interests and we certainly weren't trying "to truly
enable end user innovation (driven by the true belief that this would
benefit everybody)."  It was the furthest thing from our minds. (That
view is revisionist history written much later.) In fact, if the
truth be told, the only time there was any inclination in that
direction, ARPA nipped it in the bud very quickly.  (If they hadn't,
it might be a very different Internet today.  I believe that that
event halted innovation in the Internet.)

It always seemed that we were doing what we understood the problem
was telling us was the right solution and let the chips fall where
they may. I believe this is what is called "science."  This is what
we must return to.

I have always thought that the weakness of telephone company
strategies over the past 35 years was that they first looked out for
their vested interest and tried to contort the answer to fit them.
Some would call this engineering. I don't but some do.  When this
approach is taken, the problem generally has a way of asserting
itself at great cost unless external regulation (appeal to
governments for protection) is used to keep it at bay.  In this
situation, I have always recommended to forego the vested interest
and back the problem.  It is far cheaper in the long run and leaves
you in a better position.

I would disagree with the statement here that the fundamentals of the
Internet have changed.  They have not.  The technology definitely
has.  But the fundamentals that governed networking in 1970 are still
the same.  Hopefully our understanding of them has improved.  Our
problem as I alluded to above is that the fundamentals we built on
were basically what we understood at the time of the ICCC demo in
1972.  We have been band-aiding ever since and relying on Moore's Law
to make us look good.

We have to go back to fundamentals and be prepared to question
everything we know.  We have to be willing to do it and throw out
whatever is in the way.  We may be pleasantly surprised by how much
we got right, but we have to do it.  We can't do, as I have heard so
often recently, "call for a revolution as long as it doesn't touch
what was already done." That isn't much of a revolution. At least not
in science. We have to be willing to destroy the Internet we know to
save the Internet we need.

Noel has remarked that when a theory or architectures solves problems
you hadn't designed into it, it is a good indication that it is right
or close to it.  The more often it does it, the more right it is.
The converse is also true.  Every time you want to do some thing
different or accommodate a new requirement a new work-around is
necessary, a new kludge; then you know what you have isn't right.
This discussion about using source-routing for mobility has been a
wonderful case in point, as is the current discussion in on the RAM
list.

Noel also remarked that we need to learn the lesson of v6 to ensure
that there is an economic reason to change.  I am afraid there is an
even harder lesson from history that we have to learn from:  The
lesson of OSI which was don't invite the legacy architecture to
participate in the revolution.  They will destroy it.  Don't be
accommodating.  Go it alone. They have too much vested interest in
maintaining the status quo.  We are going to have to learn to let go
or be supplanted by people who look upon us with as much disdain as
we looked on the phone company guys in 1975.  ;-)  It was clear that
they just didn't get it.  ;-)  (Some of you will think the lesson of
OSI is something else.  Believe me, those lessons are all a
consequence of this one.  Remember OSI was started by the computer
industry to create network standards that weren't done by ITU.)

It really saddens me, but the behavior of the Internet community
today has more in common with the phone companies of 1975 than the
ARPANet/Internet/NPLnet/CYCLADES of 1975.  They were out to foment
revolution, we seem to be more out to preserve someone else's
revolution.  We seem to be making more rules about what you can't do
than what you can do.  We seem to want to protect desires that serve
our interests whether capitalist or utopian, rather than do science
and let the chips fall where they may.

I apologize for the screed, it wasn't suppose to be this long.  ;-)

Take care,
John