[e2e] Time for a new Internet Protocol

Joe Touch touch at ISI.EDU
Fri May 18 08:38:31 PDT 2007

David P. Reed wrote:
> A motivation for TCP and then IP, TCP/IP, UDP/IP, RTP/IP, etc. was that
> network vendors had too much control over what could happen inside their
> networks.
>
> Thus, IP was the first "overlay network" ...

I disagree; IMO, overlays are networks on top of an existing network.
The Internet is no more an overlay in that regard than Ethernet is
(e.g., over different media). That's just layered networking. The thing
that made the Internet different was it was a single global network
layer that didn't dictate all the layers below.

Overlays are, IMO, networks composed of headers (provided by tunnels)
and forwarding mechanisms that provide new topologies and forwarding
capabilities _among the same set of nodes already connected in the
(base) network on which they operate_.

There's no such "base network" for IP.

Joe

Joe Touch
Sr. Network Engineer, USAF TSAT Space Segment