[e2e] ATT and monopolies

Bob Braden braden at ISI.EDU
Fri May 18 13:30:13 PDT 2007

Ok, OK, I can't resist.

My grandfather was a physician in Duluth, MN around the turn of the
century. My father remembered that there were four separate phones in the
front hall of their house.  There had to be four phones, because there
were four telephone companies in Duluth at the time.  I suspect this
was typical of American cities at the time.

Had the Internet developed without any regulation or initial government
support, I wonder how many Internets we would have now?  Probably at
least the IBM Internet (SNA), the DEC Internet (DECnet), the Verizon
Internet, the Microsoft Internet, ...

Bob Braden