[e2e] end2end-interest Digest, Vol 39, Issue 32

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Mon May 21 14:43:36 PDT 2007

Insulting the Media Lab as a playground is rather unnecessary, and since
I claimed no credibility from where I work, it really sounds rather
stupid as a rhetorical device.  Does it make you feel superior?

I got my terminology regarding network externalities and increasing
returns from discussions and writings with economists and business
school professors.  It's very possible that I'm wrong in my usage - and
I'm happy to be corrected.

However, I didn't claim that network externalities were the *same* as
increasing returns to scale.   My fault for a non-parallel construction
in that sentence, which might suggest that I thought that they were the
same thing.   They are different, and *both* apply to my argument.

I was using the economist term "network externalities" not the
regulatory law term.   Sorry to be confusing if I was.   If you are
instead taking the opportunity for gratuitous insult, my skin is thick.