[e2e] Time for a new Internet Protocol

Tom Vest tvest at pch.net
Mon May 21 18:09:28 PDT 2007

Being a big fan and frequent user/abuser of the tussle concept, let
me be the first person to observe some obvious problems that follow
from using it as a normative principle:

1.  Although the concept of tussle is inherently recursive, it's
typically only used (e.g., by network architects and systems theory
people) to discuss the upper elements of the protocol/service stack.
Too often people forget, or maybe fail to notice, that the Internet
itself only exists in its "current canonical form" in places when &
where a prior/foundational tussle over control of communications
facilities/infrastructure inputs resulted in certain sorts of
outcomes. In places where all or almost of the interfaces are hidden/
controlled by a single monolithic entity (e.g., like hierarchical/
horizontal infrastructure segments within a territorial monopoly
PSTN), tussle may still exist, but it has approximately zero impact/
significance to outsiders.

2. As soon as "tusslers" become aware of the idea, they tend to
incorporate it, rhetorically if not operationally, into their future
actions. Granting that I am no game theory expert (and would love to
hear a better informed comparison here), this seems like just another
example of an iterative bargaining game, ala the Prisoner's Dilemma.
An appeal to the reasonableness of a "tussle-friendly outcome" is
just as likely as not to be a gambit to "win" a larger piece of the
pie... unless maybe the appeal is coming from someone you already
trust for some unrelated reason.

Bottom line: tussle provides a great descriptive framework for
understanding how, when, and why things change (or don't change), and
would be a fine architectural guide for a monolithic Supreme Being
who has prior knowledge of "what good would be good" to select as the
criteria for winning in any particular tussle instance -- but as soon
as you have two Semi-Supreme Beings they end up stuck in the same
bargaining game described so crudely above...

Regards all,

TV