[e2e] TCP to exhibit MTU unfairness?

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Mon Nov 12 11:00:51 PST 2007

Lachlan Andrew wrote:
> Greetings Detlef and Daniel
>
> I think Daniel was pointing out that current TCP sets the window in
> terms of number of MTUs,

??

Excuse me, if I have something wrong in mind, but isn´t the window given
in bytes?
Or does this depend on the TCP flavour?

> and hence gives bandwidth proportional to the
> MTU of a flow.  Flows using MTU=100 get roughly 1/15 of the bandwidth
> of flows using MTU=1500.
>
> Some people argue that this is correct behaviour if the actual
> bottleneck is the "packet per second" forwarding limit of a router,
> rather than the link capacity.  However, I think that Daniel is right

Hm. I read the congavoid paper again and again and to my understanding,
the fairness issue tackled by congestion control is a _capacity_ issue....

> that it is  normally  undesirable unfairness.

If the window is given in MTU size units, I agree.

Detlef

Detlef Bosau                          Mail:  detlef.bosau at web.de
Galileistrasse 30                     Web:   http://www.detlef-bosau.de
70565 Stuttgart                       Skype: detlef.bosau
Mobile: +49 172 681 9937