[e2e] end of interest

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Fri Apr 18 13:47:08 PDT 2008

Andrew -

I do exploration in Linux myself (I only run Windows in KVM, and only
when I absolutely have to).  Regarding the Major Company's proprietary
TCP code - I agree that minor tweaks to the TCP standard are adopted as
long as the Major Company's programmers are the ones who act as
gatekeeprs.  However, that's like what AT&T Bell Labs used to say when
they disparaged the Internet Experiment in the 1980's - "when those
lunatics working with Vint Cerf and Bob Kahn do something really
interesting, we'll put it in our network".

And of course we have people on this list who view any attempt to deploy
on the public Internet experiments among early adopters of Linux kernels
(like the Fedora distribution) as "evil things" to be stopped as a
matter of policy.

All of this puts grit in the gears of innovation by requiring that
innovators "get permission" from those who want to preserve their market
power.

Sometimes there is an actual risk, but mostly it's fearmongering like
the AT&T argument against Hush-a-Phone.  (a plastic piece you added to a
Bell phone that was reputed to have the potential of damaging the network).

If you have no hope of deploying most innovations without bargaining
with Major Co., then why bother doing research?

- David