[e2e] experimenting on customers

Jon Crowcroft Jon.Crowcroft at cl.cam.ac.uk
Mon Apr 21 07:09:14 PDT 2008

I dont understand all this - most software in the last 30
years is an experiment on customers - the internet as a whole
is an experiment

the fact is that any sufficiently large and complex system
that we cannot explain is necessarily not somethign where you
can say anythign certain about what you are selling - ok so
it isn't quite snake oil, but it sure aint like selling
tables and chairs either

so if we are honest, we'd admit this and say
what we need is a pharma model of informed consent
yeah, even discounts - i would happily run experimental
(e.g. ipv6 or tcp-multihome) code for a reduction in the
price of my internet access:)

indeed, our cousins in the gaming industry PAY people
to sit thru endless hours of fun on prototype games...
In missive <480C9C37.40509 at reed.com>, "David P. Reed" typed:

 cheers

   jon