[e2e] experimenting on customers

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Thu Apr 24 07:25:08 PDT 2008

So what's the point you're making Jon?   Users' experiments impact other
users?  What does that have to do with vendors experimenting on their
users?  The cases are different qualitatively and in kind, and the risks
and liabilities are different, as in any multiparty system of
constraints and desires.

Unless of course, you think that there is no difference at all between
the King and his subjects, the President and commander-in-chief and a
homeless person.

Experiments by the powerful upon the weak/dependent are quite different
from experiments with limited impact and scale taking place in a vast
ocean of relatively unaffected people.

There is no binary "good vs. evil" logic here.  There is no black and
white.  But the difference is plain unless you abstract away every
aspect of reality other than the term "experiment".