[e2e] a means to an end

Craig Partridge craig at aland.bbn.com
Mon Dec 1 08:53:29 PST 2008

Hi Dave:

So fine, call it datum or message -- the point is that some things that
are desired have a single current instance.  That instance may get replicated
eventually, or not, depending on context.  It may be that you can
retrieve something similar from other, more widely available,
sources/instances/etc.

But you haven't responded to the point I made which is that when you
want something that is rare, what I've discovered is all systems to
date embed location.  If I'm understanding your note, you think I'm
saying there's a reference copy/instance that we all must go back to
ala the Grail (nope, that's not what I'm saying) or that I'm otherwise
intentionally making things rare.  Instead I'm saying, when something is
rare (1 instance/instantiation/whatever in the world -- and, by the way,
I care about such cases as I used to be a medievalist and occasionally
was probably the first person to see a document since it was written 700
years ago), I've found that every information retrieval system (including
Van's) embeds a location.

Thanks!

Craig