[e2e] a means to an end

Lloyd Wood L.Wood at surrey.ac.uk
Tue Dec 2 03:34:56 PST 2008

The DTNRG bundle architecture has some recursion in it - nesting of
bundle security blocks to give security in the network, and the
concept of security gateways which effectively do tunnelling by
nesting these blocks. These have had to be reused for reliability and
to enable better performance from the network (allowing nodes check
outer reliability blocks for early resends of corrupted bundles). The
behaviour sans any of these is no reliability or self-checking (of
headers, even)/no security/slow network performance as the minimum.

But there's also layering - the assumption that bundling sits on top
of a network-specific "convergence layer" to traverse each local
subnet (but is somehow unaffected by the properties of said
convergence layers. The desired properties of the convergence layers
are unspecified.)

On induction: what the base case is, and where in layers, is
interesting. Other than 'you can't start in the middle,' it's hard to
say anything concrete about it, given that the computing principle of
'anything can be achieved with a level of indirection' counters
logical induction and following clear properties or behaviour up or
down the stack. The end-to-end principle says the induction of layers
of an unreliable network stack leading to unreliability can be
countered at the topmost layer where reliability is assured e2e as a
level of indirection. Performance is a system behaviour, though, and
visible as an effect of the behaviour of all layers. Naming is
usually  handled as indirection at every layer; looking at it through
induction doesn't shed any light.

John Day's _Patterns in Network Architecture_ is big on recursion. I
suppose one could argue that, with layering and indirection, you can
fool most of the others most of the time; when relying on indirection
in a recursive setup, you're only fooling yourself -- so the recursive
architecture has to be better-thought-out.

DTN work: http://info.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/saratoga/

<http://info.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/><L.Wood at surrey.ac.uk>