[e2e] Modular/Pluggable TCP Congestion Control for FreeBSD

Bob Braden braden at ISI.EDU
Wed Jan 2 09:40:44 PST 2008

  *>
  *> Hi all,
  *>
  *> We've been involved in a research project to implement and test an
  *> emerging TCP congestion control algorithm under FreeBSD. As a part of
  *> this, we've put together a patch for FreeBSD 7.0-BETA4 that modularises
  *> the congestion control code in the TCP stack. It allows for new
  *> congestion control algorithms to be developed as loadable kernel modules.
  *>

Research project?  Uhhh, this sounds like an implementation of Hari
Balakrishnan's Congestion Manager (ACM SIGCOMM 1999), but perhaps
I am missing something.

Long, long ago I heard Herb Simon quip that, while most scientists
stand on each other's shoulders, Computer Scientists stand on each
other's toes.

Bob Braden