[e2e] Modular/Pluggable TCP Congestion Control for FreeBSD

Joe Touch touch at ISI.EDU
Thu Jan 3 11:22:38 PST 2008

Detlef Bosau wrote:
> Bob Braden wrote:
>> Long, long ago I heard Herb Simon quip that, while most scientists
>> stand on each other's shoulders, Computer Scientists stand on each
>> other's toes.
>>

> Hm. IIRC, Wes Eddy accredited this to Hamming ;-)

FWIW:

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing on the shoulders
of giants"

is attributed to Isaac Newton from his use in a letter to Robert Hooke,
February 5, 1675, but ts origin goes back another 400 years or so to a
philosopher named Bernard of Chartres around 1130:

"We are like dwarfs standing [or sitting] upon the shoulders of giants,
and so able to see more and see farther than the ancients."
http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/history/q0162b.shtml

Mathematicians were brought into the comparison by Gauss:
"Mathematicians stand on each other's shoulders."

Richard Hamming said the following, at least by most sources:
"Mathematicians stand on each other's shoulders while computer
scientists stand on each other's toes."

A number of sources attribute a similar quote to Brian Reid:
"In computer science, we stand on each other's feet."

The version comparing scientists and computer scientists above hasn't
(yet) been attributed to anyone...

Joe