[e2e] Are we doing sliding window in the Internet?

Joe Touch touch at ISI.EDU
Fri Jan 4 15:25:21 PST 2008

Christian Huitema wrote:
>>> Has the IETF become the protocol police?
>> The IETF has not; members of the IETF have taken the task on, though.
>
> Well, who made you king?

One question is whether they were enabled to deliberately explore an
experimental protocol in a widely-deployed public distribution, or
whether they were enabled without that understanding.

Another question is whether Linux users should know when they are part
of such an experiment or not.

If Linux doesn't tell users and/or didn't know this was experimental,
then maybe they should. Whether they will or not, maybe the IETFers will
put up notices that educate users as to when they've been drafted as
unwitting experimenters.

That's the mechanism for feedback. The other is simply not using systems
that make such decisions, which is where I stand.

We're not king or judge or jury, but we are the 4th estate in this process.

Joe