[e2e] Are we doing sliding window in the Internet?

Christian Huitema huitema at windows.microsoft.com
Fri Jan 4 16:44:44 PST 2008

> From: Joe Touch [mailto:touch at ISI.EDU]
> >> though.
> >> One question is whether they were enabled to deliberately explore an
> >> experimental protocol in a widely-deployed public distribution, or
> >> whether they were enabled without that understanding.
> >
> > But who decides whether a protocol is experimental, or good enough
> for production use?
>
> That's supposed to happen in the IETF. The protocol in question is
> being purported as experimental, not optional standards-track.

But that means that the IETF would in practice be the judge of what can be deployed in the Internet. It could simply withdraw its stamp of approval and that the product would then, in theory, never be deployed. What if the developers are convinced that their spec is good, and the IETF is just being slow? Do you really expect that whoever needs the product will just wait forever?

-- Christian Huitema