[e2e] Are we doing sliding window in the Internet?

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Fri Jan 4 18:23:31 PST 2008

So let me suggest that the nice thing about the Internet is that in
general, the core of the network doesn't care about the details of the
end-to-end protocols that users deploy in their machines.

There is much anxiety about "congestion control" and "fairness", of
course.  But ultimately, the network , the IETF, and the access
providers that provide the last 10 meters are not the arbiters of such
things. (in fact, the point is that the end users collectively have much
more knowledge about what they are trying to do than the network
routers, owners, and standardizers ever can).  Thus, the end users
ultimately get involved in the definition of what's fair, once they've
paid for the right to originate packets to each other.

Yeah, if the end users decide to get in fights among themselves, they
get into fights.  It's simple as that.  It's no different than Pakistan
or Kenya today.   If enough of the people decide that they want to have
a civil war, the government is not going to stop them.

Fortunately, people are generally sensible after a while.   Companies
like Microsoft and projects like Linux generally can help by not
creating self-sustaining catastrophic protocol structures and
disseminatng them.   But generally they don't for long.

Bluetooth and WiFi protocols were at risk of jamming each other.  But
realizing that that would not do anyone any good, they came up with a
pragmatic set of ameliorations.   Those were hardly "optimum", but in
practice they worked well enough.

If CUBIC turns out to be an actual nightmare, Linux has ways to
distribute updates that ameliorate the problem.   I doubt it will get
that bad in practice - Linux users are still pretty thin, and they do
tend to download and apply patches much more rapidly than any other
class of system users on the planet.