[e2e] Are we doing sliding window in the Internet?

Injong Rhee rhee at ncsu.edu
Fri Jan 4 19:37:45 PST 2008

On Jan 5, 2008, at 11:23 AM, David P. Reed wrote:

> If CUBIC turns out to be an actual nightmare, Linux has ways to
> distribute updates that ameliorate the problem.   I doubt it will
> get that bad in practice - Linux users are still pretty thin, and
> they do tend to download and apply patches much more rapidly than
> any other class of system users on the planet.

Over 40% of Internet servers in the world are Linux-based. So the
users may be thin, but my guess is that a significant share of
Internet traffic is from Linux, and also from CUBIC these days. Note
that much portion of these servers are P2P servers which are the main
contributors of the Internet traffic. CUBIC/BIC has been enabled as
the default for Linux for several years.

I am not sure about the role of IETF at this stage even when the
protocol is already out there and being used as a de facto standard
that constitutes a major portion of the Internet traffic. What
"bailing out" have IETF folks been performing for Linux-developers? I
don't see the penalty that users, ISPs, academics and Mr. Joe next
door have paid because of its use. I don't see the Internet is being
crashed or crumbling down because of CUBIC.