[e2e] Are we doing sliding window in the Internet?

Joe Touch touch at ISI.EDU
Sat Jan 5 08:51:55 PST 2008

Injong Rhee wrote:
>> Yes, not causing harm right now is a start, but it's nowhere near the
>> end.
>>
>> Joe
>
> Yes. There are no reported cases of harm in real production networks.
> Just yet.
>
> But if you have seen my work on the evaluation of CUBIC/BIC
> (http://netsrv.csc.ncsu.edu/twiki/bin/view/Main/BIC#Experimental_Results),
> they are quite extensive.

I have also seen the cited reports of problems with CUBIC/BIC.

> I am not sure whether those *IETF standard* TCP algorithms were tested
> as extensively as CUBIC/BIC.

Certainly. But the key is whether we need a new algorithm, whether there
is a benefit, and whether the benefit warrants the risks. That may all
have been proven sufficiently for a wide-scale test with volunteers
aware that they're participating, but I don't like the idea of releasing
this to unwitting users without making it clear they're part of such an
experiment. IMO, the widescale volunteer test is the step that has been
skipped here.

Joe