[e2e] was Re: A message to authors - nsdi

Jon Crowcroft Jon.Crowcroft at cl.cam.ac.uk
Thu Jan 10 06:42:12 PST 2008

so google do application layer retries in a
lot of things

the problem with that approach
is that automatic systems above
the network layer have no meaningful
equivalent to the RTT estimation process that
drives the retransmit timer process, and
packet conservation mechanisms in transport
that is a part of the congestion control
loop, so we could end up either clobbering the
net and the end system, or using incredily
conservative timers for the retries...

with silent failure, we need to require
positive acknowledgement in the application
layer as you say- but i dont want to automate
it:) there's problably some wonderful ways
such a loop could interact with a vacation
mail trigger too.....(can u say feature
interaction? :-)

hey, TCP on SMTP, anyone?

In missive <1199975821.3801.119.camel at pc105-c703.uibk.a