[e2e] was Re: A message to authors - nsdi

Michael Welzl michael.welzl at uibk.ac.at
Thu Jan 10 09:16:55 PST 2008

> On 2008-1-10, at 16:56, ext Michael Welzl wrote:
> > On Thu, 2008-01-10 at 14:42 +0000, Jon Crowcroft wrote:
> >> hey, TCP on SMTP, anyone?
> >
> > Count me in - I dig layers   :-)
>
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-eastlake-ip-mime
>
> Lars

ouch!  hm ... can I send SMTP over that?   ;-)

I guess that we could start playing the "over" game in this list:
somebody names two protocols, with the word "over" in between,
and the task is to answer with a pointer to an RFC or draft...
(or write it instead!)

on a more serious note, I really really believe that this email
work should be done. Should someone suggest an IRTF group
for doing that?

I was going to start some discussion about this in the ASRG, as
this seems to be closest to email, although it's not an anti-spam
idea ... but I never found the time, as I wanted to properly read
through the standards first

But is there interest in such a thing? Do people agree with me that
developing solutions here would be 1) useful, and 2) feasible?

Personally, I'm deeply annoyed when emails are silently lost, and
it's hard for me to accept that we have no means to properly repair
it. Sure, we also have no such means for Spam, but people are at
least trying - but the increasingly significant reliability problem appears
to remain undealt with

Cheers,
Michael