[e2e] was Re: A message to authors - nsdi

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Thu Jan 10 13:04:17 PST 2008

Putting "features" in the Berkeley Sockets interface doesn't solve the
problem generically.  The problem has nothing to do with the lack of
features "in the network".  Papering over that fact by positing that
"there exists a generic solution" doesn't actually prove that there
really is a generic *solution*.  Just a pile of crappy new features
justified by a questionable claim of relevance.

The same logic justifies scanning airport passengers for Arabic names
and presuming that contributes to "security".