[e2e] Why do we need TCP flow control (rwnd)?

Lachlan Andrew lachlan.andrew at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 08:54:01 PDT 2008

Greetings David,

2008/7/1 David P. Reed <dpreed at reed.com>:
>  No human that I know
> of *ever* generates a Poisson distribution.

I might be one of the brainwashed, but I think that your (correct)
observation misses the point.  An individual human produces one or two
connections.  The Poisson process comes from thousands or millions of
users each generating their connections independently.

On an access link dominated by a small number of users, the Poisson
model certainly fails.  On an edge or core link, I haven't seen the
evidence that it does.  (Pointers to the literature would be
welcomed.)

That raises the question: should we model access links or edge links,
or have separate models of each?

Cheers,
Lachlan

--
Lachlan Andrew Dept of Computer Science, Caltech
1200 E California Blvd, Mail Code 256-80, Pasadena CA 91125, USA