[e2e] Why do we need TCP flow control (rwnd)?

John Day day at std.com
Tue Jul 1 10:54:51 PDT 2008

No kidding. There are some textbook authors who have helped with this
too.  I was shocked to see Stallings say in one of his books,
something to the effect of 'In the early 90s we discovered network
traffic wasn't Poisson.'  (!)  We had known *that* since the 70s!!!
I remember prior to 1976 scouring the literature looking for work
that was closer to real, i.e. didn't assume Poisson, or would give us
the tools to get closer to real.

I also think that there has been a lot of sloppy teaching out there.
Or maybe it is sloppy learning.  The attitude of 'just tell me what I
need to know to get through this course.'  Well, you need to know the
assumptions.

Makes you wonder what other misconceptions people are operating under.

Take care,
John