[e2e] Why do we need TCP flow control (rwnd)?

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Tue Jul 1 12:31:07 PDT 2008

Humans respond to the network getting slow by going to get coffee.
Mobs of humans acting independently also respond to slowness by *all*
getting coffee or doing something else.

It's well known that before Superbowl commercials became more
interesting than the game, the plumbing systems of cities showed major
spikes of effluent highly correlated with commercial breaks.  :-)

My general point was not against "random arrivals" but against the
assumption that those arrivals are independent of service rate changes.