[e2e] end2end-interest Digest, s/Vol 53, Issue 10 / sacred cows, sacre bleu/

Joe Touch touch at ISI.EDU
Thu Jul 10 14:52:49 PDT 2008

Pekka Nikander wrote:
> Indeed, http://www.tml.tkk.fi/~pnr/publications/nordsec2001.pdf, as you
> refer.
>
> Or, if you want to go to the other extreme, why do we need destination
> addresses?  Aren't them the source of all evil, including DDoS and SPAM?

Yup. We need to use the IP Omniscience Option.

IP-OO omits the need for source or destination addresses in IP headers,
allowing that space to be used for a variety of things, including extra
data.

The nice thing about OO is that you don't need to consume option space
or set a flag to indicate its presence; any device that is capable of
handling it knew you were going to use it, and so doesn't need to
examine the packet for that info.

Joe