[e2e] end2end-interest Digest, s/Vol 53, Issue 10 / sacred cows, sacre bleu/

Jon Crowcroft Jon.Crowcroft at cl.cam.ac.uk
Fri Jul 11 07:55:20 PDT 2008

In missive <487772B1.8090302 at isi.edu>, Joe Touch typed:

 >>Consider a packet whose transport lacks a destination address
 >>altogether, as you note should be possible. Receivers of those packets
 >>have no way to turn them around.

 >>> icmp errors can be sent, but icmp in routers would have to parse the TCP sna option

 >>So basically the need for the *network* layer to signal the source is
 >>accommodated in packets using the TCP sna option by layer violation.

ICMP is layered on top of ip as is tcp - icmp talking to tcp is not a layer
violation.

by the way, i dont put an _address_ in the transport - i put an identifier - this
is then used receivers to lookup an address to the originator. i _might_ put a
routing hint (e.g. a care of adddress) in the transport too - this is
not the same as putting in an actual address (which i am getting rid of as it is
invalid MOST of the time...

 >>Moving the source address in that case didn't make it go away, so that's
 >>just shuffling the deck chairs. If you wanted more space for IP, it's
 >>just as logical to leave the current IP header alone and place the extra
 >>forwarding info in the TCP header - if you're violating layers for ICMP, =

this is either a semantic quibble or confusing.

1. i havnt changed the IP header ast aal - i 've changed the meaning of a field -
thishas some very nice legacy interworking properties (as noted in my note)

as above, I am not violating layers. not as i understand their functions.

 >>why not for forwarding?
 >>> since most of these  ICMP response are meant as a response to a transpo=
 >>rt entity,
 >>> this is semantically reasoanble.
 >>
 >>Your system posits transports might not ever need source addresses.
 >>Those transports no longer benefit from ICMP information from the network=

 indeed since there is no information theoretic or control theoertic reason they
should want fedback from the net if thewy didnt want it from the end. - i am just
bringing some consistency to a design error of the internet.