[e2e] Why do we need TCP flow control (rwnd)?

Craig Partridge craig at aland.bbn.com
Fri Jul 11 10:29:21 PDT 2008

You achieve research by looking at the points more carefully.

* Analysis is useful when employed correctly.  For instance, for all
  that Poisson is terrible, if you can prove a negative result with
  Poisson arrivals (e.g. service model Zed is a disaster even if
  arrivals are Poisson) that's a very strong result (as we know
  Poisson is nicer than real traffic -- per Christian's note).

* Simulators validated by real world experiments are very valuable
  testing environments (I have access to such a simulator for testing
  wireless systems -- worth its weight in gold).

* Observations are extremely valuable when carefully documented such that
  the reader can determine if the observations show a general truth or
  a specific situation.  Remember, we learned a lot during the various
  congestion collapses of the late 1980s [and there was more than one], by
  observing each one and comparing what we learned.  Different collapses
  had different morphologies -- one I still remember is when the Atlantic
  satellite link got so overloaded that each connection's fair share of
  the capacity was less than one TCP segment...

Or, to make this short -- we make progress by being (a) careful and (b)
smart (in that order).

Craig