[e2e] Why do we need TCP flow control (rwnd)?

Stefanos Harhalakis v13 at v13.gr
Fri Jul 11 11:03:56 PDT 2008

On Friday 11 July 2008, Christian Huitema wrote:
> I suspect that any process that results from human behavior is very likely
> to exhibit much more variability than predicted by a Poisson model. That's
> certainly true for phone traffic as well.

  While I'm not related to statistics I believe that it is almost impossible
to (statistically) model a group A that is affected by groups B and C without
first modeling B and C. As you said, Internet traffic is affected by many
external sources like human behaviour, random facts etc, which are by
themselves extremely complex. Since we've not modeled (yet?) those external
sources (regarding their Internet behaviour influence) we most probably won't
be able to accurately model Internet traffic. The only exception that I can
think of is that we could be extremely lucky and the whole thing would just
follow a common model.