[e2e] Why do we need TCP flow control (rwnd)?

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Fri Jul 11 11:27:39 PDT 2008

My guess is that Poisson models based on measured statistics were used
in queuing models, and the statistics of the simulation outputs
reasonably matched the statistics of measured dependent variables.

That's far from confirmation of Poisson-ness.  That merely said that the
simple model predicted the observed statistics.

I wouldn't get so concerned, but I live every day with the presumption
that radio noise is Gaussian and White because of some Law of Physics.
It's bullshit, but it's taught to undergrad EEs as if it was
"discovered" by Shannon, by Ph.D. holding professors.

Shannon would turn in his grave if accused of discovering a law of physics.