[e2e] end2end-interest Digest, s/Vol 53, Issue 10 / sacred cows, sacre bleu/

Scott Brim swb at employees.org
Fri Jul 11 11:55:03 PDT 2008

On 7/11/08 10:55 AM, Jon Crowcroft allegedly wrote:
> by the way, i dont put an _address_ in the transport - i put an identifier - this
> is then used receivers to lookup an address to the originator. i _might_ put a
> routing hint (e.g. a care of adddress) in the transport too - this is
> not the same as putting in an actual address (which i am getting rid of as it is
> invalid MOST of the time...

That's what I thought and what I've been wondering about.  The recipient
of the identifier needs to look it up somewhere.  99% of the endpoints
out there today don't have global names.  Where will the identifiers be
looked up?  Either every endpoint gets registered in something like DNS
(and it's updated dynamically) or you depend on application-level
intermediaries.  Either way you're depending on intermediaries and
you've lost e2e transparency?

Scott