[e2e] Why do we need TCP flow control (rwnd)?

Lachlan Andrew lachlan.andrew at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 14:59:13 PDT 2008

Greetings Ted,

2008/7/11 Ted Faber <faber at isi.edu>:

> True Poisson processes are rare; the only one I can think of off the top
> of my head is radioactive decay.

Just to be picky, that isn't Poisson either, although it is well
approximated as Poisson on "short" time-scales (relative to the
half-life).

In a Poisson process, events on disjoint intervals are independent.
In radioactive decay, if there are a lot of decays in an early
interval, there are fewer particles left to decay on later intervals,
causing negative correlation.

(Note that, unlike diurnal variations of traffic, that effect can't be
described as being a time-varying Poisson process, because
time-varying Poisson processes still have to have that independence.)

Cheers,
Lachlan

--
Lachlan Andrew Dept of Computer Science, Caltech
1200 E California Blvd, Mail Code 256-80, Pasadena CA 91125, USA