[e2e] Why do we need TCP flow control (rwnd)?

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Thu Jun 26 05:23:42 PDT 2008

This is an interesting question.  However, the assertion that many hosts
have large buffer pools is too broad and of the wrong dimensionality to
be useful.
The key value  is the ratio:

    size_rpool * rate_service
   ------------------------------------
    size_inflite * rate_input

where size_rpool is the size of the buffer pool, the size_inflite is the
total size of packets that will be in flight before a control signal can
slow the source, rate_service is the service rate of the receiving
system in terms of work it can handle, and rate_input is the input rate
of work to the target machine (rate_input is the product of input NIC
rate times the work-per-byte-of-input).   (Derived from Little's
Lemma/Theorem).  That's an indicator of the probability of discarded
work requests that will arise because the

It's a dimensionless parameter.   And in particular it illustrates that
you need to understand how much work is done per byte and how much work
the endpoint can actually do.

So the rwnd parameter is NOT actually measuring buffer pool size.   It
is actually a control loop that measures the endpoint application's
ability to do work.