[e2e] Why do we need TCP flow control (rwnd)?

Luca De Cicco ldecicco at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 07:56:16 PDT 2008

Dear Michael,

an elegant explanation of the flow control is given in the paper:

S. Mascolo, "Modeling the Internet congestion control using a Smith
controller with input shaping", Control Engineering Practice, Vol 14,
Issue 4, April 2006

In particular, in the paper it is shown how the flow control can be
modeled as the outer loop of the congestion control machinery.
Flow control is more efficient than AIMD since it relies on
explicit feedback as opposed to the implicit feedback that congestion control
algorithms normally take. Moreover, since flow control happens when
receiver acts as the bottleneck, isn't dropping at the receiver side
(not counting retransmissions) a waste of network resources?

However, flow control just asks for 16 bit each ACK to work, isn't it
cheap enough? :)

Best,
Luca De Cicco

--