[e2e] end2end-interest Digest, Vol 52, Issue 10

S. Keshav keshav at uwaterloo.ca
Sat Jun 28 16:50:29 PDT 2008

Maybe I'm being really dumb, but I think that the reason for rwnd is
simple: why should a sender bother sending something if there is no
place to keep it when its received? By telling the sender how much
buffer space it has left, the receiver avoids dropping data that has
been sent over the network, which represents wasted effort. One could
argue that the rwnd value should really be a predictor for the buffer
capacity that is expected to be available one RTT from now, but
setting that quibble aside, there isn't much more to it.

keshav