[e2e] Why do we need TCP flow control (rwnd)?

Detlef Bosau detlef.bosau at web.de
Mon Jun 30 12:55:10 PDT 2008

David P. Reed wrote:
> ECN marks share the fate of the packets carrying them.  So what's your
> point?

O.k., o.k. see

<20080630160711.GC2477 at zod.isi.edu>
<486913EA.5040208 at web.de>

ECN marks cannot fully replace loss as congestion indicator (and they don't, I realized this.

However, I do not see, why ECN marks should replace the use of TCP flow control (what I understand as one of Michael's thoughts,
<20080627080835.GA14740 at ikr.uni-stuttgart.de>).
Particularly because ECN marks can get lost. Wrt. CC, this is no problem because the packet loss is a congestion indicator itself.
Particularly, a lost packet does not clock out anything from the sender.

In contrast to that, an ACK packet with vaid rwnd will inform the sender correctly about the available receiver capacity.

Executive summary: TCP flow control works fine, we should leave it alone.

Detlef Bosau                          Mail:  detlef.bosau at web.de
Galileistrasse 30                     Web:   http://www.detlef-bosau.de
70565 Stuttgart                       Skype: detlef.bosau
Mobile: +49 172 681 9937