[e2e] end of interest

Craig Partridge craig at aland.bbn.com
Thu May 1 06:56:26 PDT 2008

In message <a0624083cc43e2670f2b6@[10.0.1.44]>, John Day writes:

>Craig,
>
>Have a question.  All of this innovative new research you are seeing.
>What sort?

>Can you prove me wrong?  I hope! ;-)

Hi John:

I'd describe the research as being along trajectories -- that is, clumps
of potential that might gell into something really nifty:

* Programmable physics -- how your network device (radio, electrical or
  optical) behaves on its medium is entirely a result of software -- you
  can change behavior [signal power, modulation, coding, MAC layer] in
  an instant.  The work of all those IEEE 802.* committees becomes
  a matter loading a bit of software.

* Knowing more while measuring less -- we're making tremendous progress
  on this front (trajectory sampling, principal component analysis on
  sparse traces, etc).

* Re-examining the middle of the network -- the best example here is what
  if the router has a 100 GB hard drive in it -- and we view the contents
  of the hard drive as entirely "soft" (can be lost in an instant).
  Can we do nifty things?  [cf. DTN (which views the drive as reliable,
  but similar vein), Van's talk @ Google, etc.]

* Energy efficiency -- in this case I worked on an energy efficient radio
  project and discovered there's very little literature on saving
  energy in networks. (What are the design principles for an energy
  efficient transport protocol?  Turns out that is a non-trivial and
  often counter-intuitive problem that has you looking at old ARQ work...)

Thanks!

Craig