[e2e] end of interest

Jon Crowcroft Jon.Crowcroft at cl.cam.ac.uk
Fri May 9 07:56:50 PDT 2008

one of the more novel ideas being re-propagated in the mad rush to
claim some "new" ground in the geni-flecting of the internet
is data driven networking

a paper that landed on my desk from the sigcomm 2009 rejection heap
entitled "Endless Arguments in Systems Design" has some nice protocol
fragments based around a new taxonomy of nodes in the graph

rather than host + router + middle box,
(or end- and intermediate- system as ISO used to term them)
we only have 1 type of node (lets call it a synch)

instead of 1-1, 1-n, and n-1 communication,
we have 0-n and n-0 communication

the zero indicates uncertainty about the eventual recipient
(or the antideluvian originator)

of course, a sequence of 0-n, n-0
patterns can be constructed indicating cascades or swarms
and possible aggregation and disaggregation of content.

interesting questions arise about
reliability, flow, and congestion control
in such a system - using the famous arguments
in their truest sense from that old paper
from which this august list may take its marching orders,
is quite tricky...

the rest of the paper is left as an excercise for the reader
In missive <a06240807c44a02cd0eb5@[10.0.1.24]>, John Day typed:

 cheers

   jon