[e2e] end of interest

John Day day at std.com
Fri May 9 10:43:56 PDT 2008

Joe,

There is nothing wrong with overlays.   I said nothing bad about
overlays.  But like many things overlays can't turn a sow's ear into
a silk purse.

What I did imply was it would be a mistake to think that overlays
could fix fundamental underlying problems.  Microsoft believed (or at
least seemed to) for some number of years that that they could simply
overlay windows on DOS.  They finally realized that that was not
going to work. You can overlay all you want as long as are building
on a solid base.

In fact, I would even argue that think of overlays as merely an
*addition* to the architecture is a merely continuing down a blind
alley.

Take care,
John