[e2e] end of interest

Jim Gettys jg at laptop.org
Sat May 10 11:53:45 PDT 2008

On Sat, 2008-05-10 at 12:18 -0400, David P. Reed wrote:

> There are huge aspects of that future that depend on getting the
> low-level abstractions right (in the sense that they match real physical
> reality).  And at the same time, constructing a stack of abstractions
> that work to maximize the utility of radio.

First hand reality in the OLPC project: use of multicast/broadcast based
protocols when crossed with nascent wireless protocols (802.11s), can
cause spectacularly "interesting" (as in Chinese curse) interactions.

First hand experience is showing that one had better understand what
happens at the lowest wireless layers while building application
middleware protocols and applications....  Some existing protocols that
have worked well on wired networks, and sort of worked OK on 802.11abc
networks, just doesn't work well (or scale well) on a mesh designed to
try to hide what's going on under the covers.

While overlays are going to play an important role in getting us out of
the current morass (without transition strategies, we're toast; that was
what got the Internet out of telecom circuit switching as the only
mechanism), I have to emphatically agree with Dave that we'd better get
moving on more fundamental redesign and rethinking of networking....
                           - Jim

--
Jim Gettys <jg at laptop.org>
One Laptop Per Child