[e2e] end of interest

Jon Crowcroft Jon.Crowcroft at cl.cam.ac.uk
Sun May 11 10:08:35 PDT 2008

In missive <4827081A.1090305 at reed.com>, "David P. Reed" typed:

 >>I'd suggest that first-principles thinking is harder than Jon thinks.

gosh - i thought I just wrote something - i didnt realize andy lipmann's
medialab goal of telepathy had already  been reached and you could figure out
how hard I thought first principles thinking is....thats neat -
if you can teach the rest of us that trick, we
could save a lot of bandwidth and carpal pain

one of the first principles of architectural thinking is that
architectures are not created fully formed by some smart person
(no matter who gets the credit) but are in fact
emergent from a bunch of work that is teasing out
problems and partial solutions around the cracks of an earlier
system

what i was suggesting is that snooping is just such a piece of work.
as are other layer "violations"

to claim that the internet was not layered is pretty imaginative -
the ncp->tcp/ip split and the bezerkeley socket code
(and early System V and MIT C code) stacks were just that: stacks.
OSs were layered at the same time (as were most systems)

to pretend that the consequences of different ways of component thinking
were intellectually  avaialble to people before the 1980s would be
fairly far fetched....

indeed the work by tenenhouse and clark way way after the layering religion on
application layer framing, and integrated layer processing betray a DEEP embedded
layerist mode of thinking -  why not? it served incredibly well, in terms of seperating
concerns and defining tussle spaces and software/hardware (pace, hennesy/patterson)
division of labour

 >>It's not just a matter of choosing sides in a war, or acting as an arms
 >>merchant to both sides.   It's about thinking more squarely about the
 >>real underlying issues that comprise communications . In fact, as some
 >>of us have suggested, perhaps the idea that communications can be
 >>considered as a "pure" architectural/linguistic frame independent of
 >>storage and computation and sensing is the real issue we ought to be
 >>addressing today, with pervasive comms/storage/computational elements
 >>capable of all three.

sure  - we have a number of NEW ideas on the table now that were not present the
last time around - lets work with them, shall we?

 cheers

   jon