[e2e] end of interest

John Day day at std.com
Sun May 11 12:06:21 PDT 2008

At 10:52 -0400 2008/05/11, David P. Reed wrote:
>Snooping honors the Layeristi - granting them rhetorical power they
>never deserved.   It sounds like "cheating" or "illegal" operation.
>The Internet was born without layers - it used architectural

See previous note.  No matter how you cut it. Whether you call them
layers or framing.  If you have to look at stuff that doesn't belong
to you, you haven't done something right or there is something you
don't understand.

>framing differently (e.g., one arch principle illustrative:
>encapsulation is not layering, and even survives as IP gets
>encapsulated in TCP port 8 VPNs, much to the chagrin of the
>Layeristi purists who explain it as a "bug", rather than looking at
>its roots in passing IP datagrams over SNA and NCP virtual circuits).

Gosh. How is this a bug?  Sounds right to me!

>I'd suggest that first-principles thinking is harder than Jon thinks.

Well, it is hard.  I can testify to that!  Not sure it is harder than
Jon thinks.  Jon seems to think pretty hard much of the time.
Although he doesn't want it to show.  ;-)

>It's not just a matter of choosing sides in a war, or acting as an
>arms merchant to both sides.   It's about thinking more squarely
>about the real underlying issues that comprise communications . In
>fact, as some of us have suggested, perhaps the idea that
>communications can be considered as a "pure"
>architectural/linguistic frame independent of storage and
>computation and sensing is the real issue we ought to be addressing
>today, with pervasive comms/storage/computational elements capable
>of all three.

No, it is a question of learning to listen carefully to what the
problem is telling you and not imposing your own ideas on it.  (I
will admit that I have found that we do the later it is often wrong.
Embarrassing when it happens.  But if you are careful when you write
it up no one notices!)  ;-)