[e2e] Layering vs. modularization

George Michaelson ggm at apnic.net
Thu May 15 19:02:56 PDT 2008

On 16/05/2008, at 11:27 AM, David P. Reed wrote:

> Encasulation means that the "totally ordered stack of layers"
> suddenly can grow to infinite depth, as the sequence of layers is
> laid on top of a subsequence selected from the same layers.

but only if you violate some pretend privacy rule and look at what in
context is actually just data. What element of a given nodes
functional role, in a layer context, demanded it have consciousness of
the payload to perform its role?

> Layering has nothing to do with "looking inside the packets".  That
> concept is not layering, it is something quite different - having to
> do with lack of "interpretation" of bit strings.

I can't help feeling that there is a chinese-room or black-box view on
this that says if you don't NEED to look at whats in a bit string to
perform your functional role, then if you do, you are possibly
exhibiting side effects..

-George