[e2e] a means to an end

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Thu Nov 6 13:48:19 PST 2008

It can be in many places, including everywhere and nowhere.   As an
example of the latter, consider the location of the piece of information
called the "majority" of a set of voters.   Let's assume that the set of
voters has cardinality N.   (Both Dave Gifford and I, and later Leslie
Lamport, built practical networked computing systems that were based on
key information elements being stored as majorities of this sort).

The "location" of such a majority is, in some sense, a superposition of
subsets that have the following property: the subset has floor(N/2)+1
elements who vote in the same way.  Depending on the preponerance of
agreeable voters, the "location" of the majority has at least
2^(floor(N/2)) possible states, all of which are "a location of the
majority".

I'm bloody serious.  The idea that one must access information by
*first* deciding *where* to look and then asking a container is JUST
WRONG.  Or to be more polite, it is a design choice that we made
arbitrarily in the Internet.  But it is not unambiguously "right".