[e2e] a means to an end

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Thu Nov 6 14:02:31 PST 2008

Fred - I have nothing against you, and nothing against Cisco or the
IETF.  I apologize for any bad feelings that seemed to be directed
against persons or institutions.  I was reacting to the *idea* that IETF
RFC's or the Internet as built (mostly out of Cisco routers) is somehow
the "right" answer, or that studying either of them answers the
discussion Crowcroft started.

Generally, I react sarcastically to citations of holy writ - and your
note cited about 5 RFCs by number - when involved in a conversation that
started out focusing on addressing in general, and my seriously meant
question in regard to the role "location" need play in end-to-end
communications function.

I admire and respect the IETF, Cisco, and Fred Baker.  Always have.