[e2e] a means to an end

Scott Brim swb at employees.org
Fri Nov 7 10:25:00 PST 2008

On 11/7/08 1:10 PM, Jon Crowcroft allegedly wrote:
> did i say it was centralised? nope -

Well, I carefully said (this time) "a widely coordinated infrastructure
mechanism by which IDs can be mapped directly to locators".  Don't you
want that?  You drew parallels between what you want and DNS or a 1-hop
DHT.

> did you say you want end systems to implement multiple APIs?

I don't think I did.

> why? why not just have one API (a.k.a. service) and multiple strageies
> for distribution/cacheing/pre-fetching/localisation/aggregation
> based n the demand pattern?

Oh, so you're talking about an API, not something out in the network
like DNS?  In that case I think we agree.

swb